What happened in this photo? I usually ask myself if I can't think of anything else to write, or in other words writers block. What is she thinking, how did she get there, why is she there? I'd like to think that maybe she was some kind of rebel leader, or she was a fighter so she went to join the army and got caught. Instead of it being a Mulan, it could be Keena or Reva or Astrid, like a Mulan but Celtic-ized. I love the way she has the clear eyes, as if she hasn't been broken, the fact that her hair is messy and the fact she is still trying to get out. It's as if she is saying "no matter what you do I will never ever betray my people" or "I did what I did because it was right". Her face is so neutral, but her eyes tell me a different story, they tell me defiance, loyalty and betrayal. If you look closely you can see that her arms have muscle like she is strong, the way she is clenching her jaw suggests annoyance. I wonder what she is annoyed at, maybe her guards are bickering and she is thinking that it would be so easy to escape, but she won't cause she is truthful and she won't hide form fate.
Now I wonder what happened here. She is probably trying to escape from life. What if the girl above is her ancestress who was the most famous warrior of her time. Maybe she is the exact image of her and her personality is the same as well. Maybe she is gaining comfort from her ancestress. Her face looks so sad, maybe her parents are getting divorced and she needs help, so she turns to her ancestress. Who knows, but it is still fun to do. What do you think connects them both? :)
j.h.


1 comment:
I love your questions and observations.
Post a Comment